Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Year in Review

In 2012, I gained a full-time teaching position, and along with it my very own classroom filled with over sixty students each day and five awesome team members who let me ask them a hundred questions as they come to mind.

I lost some old friends, but made some new ones in return. 

I stopped running on a regular basis, and for no good reason either.

I started reading (and writing) again.

I was hugely satisfied by the comma in my first official paycheck, and each check after that for a matter of fact.

And frustrated by not being able to do all of the things I wanted to do this past year.

I am so embarrassed that I didn't turn down that one dare.

Once again, I listened to my music just a little too loud.

Once again, I did not write as often as I promised I would.

The biggest physical difference between me last December and this December is a new pair of glasses with some hot pink on the arms.

The biggest psychological difference between me last December and this December is the extent to which my teacher mind wanders.... it's multiplied three fold.

I loved spending time getting my classroom ready, even though it was on short notice.

Why did I spend even two minutes thinking I could change the past?

I should have spent more time taking pictures.


I regret buying the sketchbook that I have yet to use.


I will never regret buying my MacBook Pro even though with that money I could have bought any number of things, either for my classroom or for my new teacher wardrobe.

gave in way too much.

I didn't dance enough.

Scheduling parent teacher conferences drove me crazy.

Were those crazy bitches I use to work with crazier than ever last year? Or was it me?

The most relaxing place I went was the restaurant with an old friend.

I feel so at ease when I write that down.

Why did I go to bat for you?

The best thing I did for someone else was offer my time, words, and thoughts.

The best thing I did for myself was actually make the decision to do things because I wanted to.

The best thing someone did for me was listen without judgment.

The one thing I'd like to do again, but do it better, is the Joshua Radin concert - -though I'm not sure how much better it could get.

No comments: