Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Get rid of all the poo!


   It’s been a week since I last shampooed my hair.

   This is not a joke. Google “no poo” and the internet will give you a host of information on the movement wherein people stop washing their hair – at least with commercial products.

   In some ways, I’m still washing my hair. But it’s a bit touch-and-go still as to whether the results approach “clean.” I’m not too concerned about it as at this stage in the process, clean is not as important as it might otherwise be.

   So what am I "washing" my hair with exactly? I’m following the standard "no poo" formula of water and baking soda for the wash and then water and apple cider vinegar for the rinse/condition. The thing is I don’t think I’ve gotten the proportions right yet, hence my sort-of-clean feeling. Is it possible for your hair to feel like straw but oily at the same time? Oh, is it ever, my friend!

   So why am I not that concerned about my hair being clean? Well, because the point of "no poo" is to get your hair off its nasty commercial shampoo and conditioner drug habit so it can return to its theoretically natural and beautiful state. This means being able to regulate scalp oils all on its own without being stripped by sodium lauryl sulfates. THAT’S RIGHT. I SAID IT. SODIUM LAURYL SULFATES.

   The good news is that nobody has really noticed the changes in my hair the way I have. Since it’s so long (which I think is part of what’s complicating my baking soda and vinegar ratios) I wear it up quite a bit – especially since it’s been such a hot summer. At that point, you’re really just getting roots, and although mine feel greasy, they don’t really look it. (Again, the straw-oily paradox).

   The internet mostly claims that people have a two to four week adjustment period for their hair – some are even longer. I’m hopeful that I’ll get balanced by the fourth week because I have a birthday bonanza weekend coming up and I’d like my head to not feel crazy, but we’ll see. Either way I’m sticking it out.

   More updates to come!

2 comments:

Martha said...

I used to switch back and forth between "regular" and "sulfate free shampoo" for years because I colored my hair, but completely gave up products with sulfates shortly after my cancer diagnosis. I do shampoo my scalp with either Low-Poo shampoo (from Deva Curl) or with Trader Joe's shampoo. And then I use Deva Curl conditioner and just rub a small amount over my strands and leave it in. I tried the baking soda and vinegar and couldn't quite get it right. But you're right...oily straw is the norm for a few weeks until your scalp and hair adjust, but it's so worth it!

Catherine said...

My hair has adjusted more even in the past two days. I've not moved on to "not washing" except with water. I'm going to stick that out for a week and then do another baking soda/vinegar wash, followed by three days of no wash. I feel like I definitely see a light at the end of the tunnel though. Come on, little hair, you can do it!