Saturday, May 26, 2012

I'm Not A Runner, But I Play One On TV

I'm not on TV, but whatever.

I've been using the C25K program to get ready for a 5k that's coming up in a week.  With a history of knee problems, and frankly, not being the kind of person who enjoys running, I gave myself extra time to complete the 8 week program.  Here's where I've been:

1.  The first two weeks of the program are pretty easy.  So easy, in fact, that I thought, "Hey, I can do this daily instead of every other day!"  The result, of course, was painful shin splints that sidelined me for a week.  Ouch.

2.  Inevitably, one will get sick while trying out a new fitness routine.  And if one is coughing and hacking and wheezing, expect to be sidelined for at least a few days.

3.  It's okay to start the running program over again.  Fair enough.  Those first two weeks still felt easy, but in order to avoid shin splints, I followed the plan of every other day.

4.  The next few weeks will go okay, with some repeat days in between to build up endurance.  I've always had trouble regulating my breathing while running and I found that week 5 was difficult for me.

5.  Inevitably, because I'm clumsy, I'll end up with an injury that I choose to ignore.  I've learned that running on two broken toes is not the smartest thing I've ever done.  They will hurt.  They will not heal properly.  And by the time I figure this out, I'll end up having to take a little time off to let the bones set.  When I start running again, I found that I'd lost some of my endurance and in an effort to get back to where I needed to be, tried to run daily.  Result?  Shin splints.  Again.  Ouch. 

6.  To speed the shin splint recovery process, I buy cushioned insoles for my running shoes to absorb some of the shock during running.  It helps.  But.  Problem?  My shoes have already shaped to my feet.  So, the shoes are now rubbing in weird places and I end up with blisters.  Solution?  Lots of first aid ointment and bandaids--covered with duct tape.  Yes, the duct tape stays in place over the bandaids and no more blister pain.

7.  Taking it easy and going back to week 4.  I'm okay with this.  If I do this right, I'll be right on target to finish the program and run 3 miles ON race day.  Scary, but I believe I can do it.  Proud that I'm gradually building distance and speed.  It's beyond awesome to be jogging along when the program's voice says, "Start walking," and I think, "Wow, I feel like I could keep going for a while!"

8.  Husband's post-car accident neck pain will (conveniently...ahem) flare up the week before the kiddo's birthday party and he just CAN'T help with any cleaning or organizing in preparation for the party.  So I take a few days off.  Okay, fine, I take 6 days off because I got totally lazy.

9.  Day after the party, I decide I need to get into gear because I'm getting short on time.  I'll be a few days behind the training program's targets, but I'm still feeling pretty confident.  I get up to go running and feel yucky.  Worn out and fatigued.  Dull throbbing in my kidneys.  Go back to bed.  Later (okay, a day later) discover that UTI that has migrated upward toward my kidneys.  Gross.  And given the bladder surgery I had to remove cancer a few years ago, well, my bladder is not the strongest organ in my body.  Seriously felt like I was going to wet my pants.  Told Sister #1 that I could probably pee on myself if I was hot and sweaty and nobody would notice.  I didn't.  I end up taking another 5 days off.

10.  Last night, moved back to week 4 in the training program and could only run for a few minutes at a time.  Booooo.

So...I'm okay with walking/jogging this 5k.  Did I want to run the whole thing?  Heck yeah!  But I'll be the person not in great shape who walks more than half of it and irritates the serious runners blowing by me.  But I'll cross the finish line...slowly, but it will be crossed.

My toes are healing.  The antibiotics are working.

And there's another 5k in September!  Brookfield Zoo Run anyone??

No comments: