Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Words of a Child

Last night, I was digging through a storage bin when I stumbled across a journal I kept as part of the requirements for my high school senior year Honors English class.

I didn't even remember keeping the journal and had to laugh at some of what was in there, especially the sample tabloid article I wrote on Hester Prynne (from The Scarlet Letter) admitting that Satan was the father of her child...and in the next issue, Satan himself would be offering advice on how to fan the flames of passion in relationships.

I feel like Fozzie Bear should be letting loose with a "Wocka, wocka, wocka!"

Crazy. 

But among some of the silly assignments were some intriguing words of wisdom and I began one of my journal entries with:

I think that if I knew what conformity would do to me,
I never would have tried it.

I was so intrigued by those words and the insight of the 17 year old girl that I used to be.  Sitting here now reading them as an adult, I was sure it must have been a quote that I pulled from somewhere, but I looked on the internet for a match and...nothing.

I keep reading those words over and over..."If I knew what conformity would do to me, I never would have tried it."

So true.  So very, very true.

No comments: